Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What supplies will my child need at the beginning of the year?

Your child will need a zip up binder, pencils, pens, and a combination lock.

What should I do when my child is absent from school?

Call the main office (860-632-2433) before 9 am on the morning of the absence.

1. The child must bring a note signed by her/his parents to the secretary when returning to school. The note must contain:

  • Student's name

  • Date of absence

  • Reason for absence

  • Parent's signature

If the child went to the doctor, please bring in a physician's note.

2. Family trips must be approved in advance by the principal in order to be recorded as excused absences. 

How can my child find out about missed class work and homework when he or she is absent?

There are several ways to accomplish this:

1. Your child can call a student on his or her team that evening to get the class work and homework assignments or your child can check on the school website for the homework assignments.

2. Homework assignments are posted on the board of every classroom each day so if your child is here for part of the day he or she can get the assignments that were missed.

3. If your child knows in advance that he or she will be absent, your child can ask teachers in advance for the homework assignments.

4. If your child is absent for more that one day, you can call the main office and request that work be gathered. Please make this request prior to 10 am and you will be able to pick up the work in the main office any time after 3 pm. If the request comes in after 10 am you can pick up the work the following day at 3 pm.

How can I get a conference with my child's teachers?

If you have any concerns about your child's education at Keigwin please contact the individual teacher or the Team leader. If necessary, a parent/team conference will be scheduled.

May I contact my child by phone during the school day?

Phone calls directly to students are not allowed. If there is an emergency, please contact the main office and they will deliver a message to your child.

What if my child wants to go over to a friend's house? Can he or she go on that friend's bus? 

If you want your child to go to a different location after school you must provide the office with advance written permission. Phone calls are NOT accepted.